Managing Editor for EncoreArtsSeattle.com
EncoreArtsSeattle.com is seeking a creative, organized and versatile editor. The ideal candidate will have at least three years of professional media experience, be self-directed and have a deep knowledge and love of the performing arts. The web editor will write, edit, assign and aggregate content; attention to detail and deadlines is a must. Must have command of editorial best practices and AP style, working knowledge of Photoshop and the ability to work within a CMS. This is a part-time position, approximately 20 hours per week. This position will also manage Encore Arts Seattle Facebook posts and Twitter posts. Primary responsibilities include:
- Assigning and editing news and feature stories, managing freelancers and budget
- Strategizing and developing new online features to highlight the Seattle arts community
- Writing clean copy on short turnaround
- Creating an online run sheet and enforcing deadlines
- Writing show previews and managing corresponding performance calendar
- Maintaining a working knowledge of Seattle performance landscape.
- Existing relationships with Seattle arts organizations
Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter and three published clips to firstname.lastname@example.org
EncoreArtsSeattle.com is a website dedicated to the performing arts in Seattle. Our website is an online resource for Seattle arts patrons, featuring an inclusive event calendar and editorial coverage including news, show previews, interviews with actors and playwrights, photo features and more. Our website gives arts goers an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at favorite local artists and major performing arts venues in Seattle. We provide knowledgeable, engaging, supportive, friendly and authoritative content to Seattle’s performing arts audiences.
Founded in 2014, EncoreArtsSeattle.com is owned and operated by Encore Media Group, a family-owned, Northwest-based publishing company that has been producing arts programs, and custom publishing projects for more than 45 years.
A publication of Encore Media Group, City Arts is headquartered in Greenwood, a neighborhood of Seattle, and employs a small staff of editors, designers and sales people. Below is a list of positions we currently have available.
City Arts is currently looking for editorial interns. Interns provide invaluable support to the magazine, the website, social media and events (such as The Song Show and the Best Of Art Walk Awards). Interns will gain insight into the editorial, design and production processes. College students and graduates pursuing careers in journalism, publishing or marketing are preferred. These are unpaid positions, but academic credits are possible if needed.
- Copyediting, proofreading, transcribing and fact-checking as needed
- Researching and compiling info for print and online event previews
- Researching feature topics
- Writing and/or photographing for occasional event previews and blog assignments
- Securing and organizing digital artwork files
- Contributing to marketing and in-house ad materials
- Providing support at sponsored events (for interns 21+)
You do not need prior experience in journalism to apply for a City Arts internship. Ideal candidates will be highly motivated, independent and graceful under pressure. A background in writing, the arts and/or communications is a plus.
- Minimum commitment of two eight-hour days per week for three months
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, e-mail and Web research
- Familiarity with standard social media platforms
- Ready access to email and Internet outside our offices
How to Apply
Please e-mail your resume and two writing samples to email@example.com, along with a brief letter of interest describing your interest in City Arts and the subjects we cover (e.g., theater, live music, visual arts, dance) in one document.
City Arts editorial internships run in approximate three-month intervals. We are always accepting materials from interested parties.
Looking for a fun way to volunteer in the Seattle arts community?
City Arts Magazine is looking for energetic, engaging volunteers to represent us at local events and festivals throughout the year! We are looking to create a team of friendly folks to be at our booths at various events around the city.
Compensation includes awesome perks such as movie tickets, restaurant gift certificates, theater tickets, guest list invites to City Arts events, and much more!
If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In your response, please include:
1. Your availability
2. Seattle neighborhood you reside in
3. Professional/social background
4. Your top 3 favorite local art/music events
City Arts Magazine lovers, students, music enthusiasts, and artists of all kinds are encouraged to apply.